Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Big Red

First and foremost, although I have lived in Missouri for longer, I have always been and will always be a Texas girl. My mom and I are the only ones in the family who have any trace of an accent, and it always gets stronger when we talk to each other or to someone else with an accent. Anyway, there are so many things I miss about Texas (for starters see the song "Come Back to Texas" by Bowling for Soup. I miss the space, I miss Whataburger, I miss the accents, and I miss Big Red.

Big Red is a soda (not pop--soda). It is most similar to a red cream soda such as the Bargs version they have on campus. Big Red was first and it is better. Unfortunately, Big Red is extremely hard to find outside of the South. In Texas it's everywhere, in restaurants, in 2 liters, cans, 20 oz bottles, etc. Out here I'm lucky if I can find it at a gas station and I've NEVER found it in a grocery store or restaurant outside the South. Until today!

I was pursuing through the aisles of Macey's as usual when I happened upon a pallet of Pepsi and Mt Dew when I saw it--like a diamond in the rough the ruby red shown out past the blues and the greens and I almost couldn't believe my eyes! I called my mom to brag of my great discovery (she deserves it since she does the same thing to me with Whataburger) and continued my shopping in the most elated of moods. I guess my excitement was still showing when I checked out because I only had to say three words before the clerk noticed my accent and commented on it, asking where I was from.

"I'm from TEXAS!!"

No comments: