Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Sense of Impending Doom

I'm not sure whether this is a compliment or not but I have recently been reading Watership Down for the first time and I really don't like it. The story is great and I think that it took amazing talent to write: The world creation and characterization are near perfect. That is not why I do not like it. I don't like this book because I cannot shake the feeling that something dreadful is going to happen at some point, and soon. I become like a rabbit myself, constantly white-eyed and nervous of the elil (enemies) and dangers that exist around every corner.

I believe that a lot of this is due to the fact that when I was little my mom rented this movie for us once. Not recommended--this is not the most kid-friendly movie--and though I remember nothing about the plot except for the fact that the rabbits were running away from something reasonably terrible, dodging cats and hawks, etc., and trying to find a good home, I seem to remember a lot more blood and death than has been in the book so far. We never did finish it and it was so long ago I am left to wonder: Are there greater dangers still to come or did the movie or my imagination exaggerate said dangers?

I guess that it is the sign of a good author to really bring the reader into the book, to make us feel like we are there, that we are part of the story. Unfortunately I cannot enjoy the book because I keep thinking that something terrible is going to happen! They've come so far and I don't want anything to happen to them but it would be almost too perfect for them to get off without anything happening. I am now halfway through the book and still none of the original crew have died, which is a good sign considering what they've been through. I hope their good luck continues. . .

No comments: